Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More Reflections

Monday on librarian.net there was a post about metadata and the written word. I found it interesting seeing the old check out card and realizing that there really was a lot of information on them. It brought back a kind of nostalgic feeling. I can just remember writing my library card number on those little cards when I visited the library. I think I was in second grade when our library system switched over to the automated system. Today I was working on weeding in the juvenile fiction section and kept wondering if I'd see my old card number written on any little cards (in which case I might have had a hard time getting rid of the book), but most of those cards have disappeared. Last May, while doing a visit to my old elementary school to promote the summer reading program, I did have the opportunity to flip through some books and found the names of some of my classmates. Strangely, those were the last names on several of the books. The school librarian probably was right to be planning to weed that section pretty strongly!

This one made me laugh: A Call to Give Up Texting for Lent!
It's really sad that our society is becoming so dependent on technology that an archbishop feels the need to suggest young people fast from it. I know that in our library, we definitely have web-addicts. You can see it... the teen who comes in to all the computers being full. And he paces, checks his watch, his eyes darting up and down the row of computers, silently begging someone to leave. Another check of the watch. An attempt to talk one of his buddies into getting off the computer. The sad part of it, he has a reservation in 5 minutes, but that's too long to wait to start his 4 hours of Rune Scape. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment