Monday, March 2, 2009

Getting the Blog Started

Well, here it is, in all its glory. My blog for my Computer-Based Information Tools class. Today I signed up for feeds from 3 blogs:

Librarian.net
Library Stuff
The Shifted Librarian

When I looked at the results for today, I noticed that all three had posts about Twitter. I have to be honest, I don't know a lot about Twitter, but I really don't get it. Personally, I don't want the pressure of having to report every part of my day to someone. I have a hard enough time getting through my email most days! And that doesn't include responding to them.

Of course, reading about a congressman Twittering secret details of his visit to Iraq doesn't help my feelings about the service... or security for that matter. Of course, you can't blame a computer application for the user's lack of thinking.

Probably what I found most interesting was the debate over gaming in public libraries. My library, which is a small branch of a county system, has 2 Playstations and a WII. We have monthly programs for our teens and tweens. Does it have any literary value? No. But it does get the teens into the library and gives them something to do while they are there. And we do see an increase in circulation from the teens on those days. Personally, I hate doing the programs because it's loud and I get bored. I don't think that holding the programs is a bad idea, I just don't necessarily want to be the one in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment